Make

Semplice e Delizioso: A Guide To Italian Food

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-18-48-19

When it comes to food, Italians are a little bit obsessed.  Pasta is a serious matter guys… never argue with an Italian about it!  This obsession comes from the fact we are afraid that our precious recipes, passed down for generations and part of our heritage, end up to be misinterpreted or repurposed in a version that has nothing to do with Italian (Olive Garden, anyone?).

Ever tasted an amazing pasta dish in Italy or at an authentic Italian restaurant, but once home you just can’t make it? What is that magic all authentic Italian cooks seem to have? You may be surprised that it’s the same magic used by Coco Chanel, Maya Angelou, Anne Truitt and Norah Jones… Less is More.

Talking to a chef who does cooking classes with Americans in Rome early day, I got a new perspective about how you can learn. Chef Claudia has a few tips for you.

Italian food is healthy, fresh and genuine. The ingredients are key in the making of a dish: buy fresh and local. Fresh juicy tomatoes are just everything in an Italian dish.

Use extra virgin oil. Good oil can elevate any dish.

Forget Chicken Carbonara, Alfredo Sauce, Spaghetti Meatballs, Salami, or extra creamy sauces. If you ask any Italian (born and raised in Italy) you will possibly get a restraining order!

The famous carbonara sauce is probably one of the most ruined Italian food. The original pasta alla carbonara only contains eggs, cheek lard and pecorino cheese. Nothing like chicken, cream, bacon, parsley, garlic, yogurt are original ingredients.

..Oh, and pasta with chicken: The chicken doesn’t go with the pasta. The pasta doesn’t go with the chicken. Learn it.

Even if it’s terribly romantic to think about it, Italians don’t eat spaghetti with meatballs.

No garlic bread allowed on a table. Not a thing. It’s bread, just bread.

Italians only drink wine or water while eating. Never ask for a cappuccino or tea your meal. Nobody will refuse to serve you what you want but the disappointment in your waiter’s face will be almost unbearable.

Whereas the common belief about Italian dishes is “the more the better”, the truth is the opposite. Italian-Americans overcook pasta, serve it in immense portions, and over sauce it. Everything is too much. Simplicity and ease of approach are the keys to good pasta in Italy. Just take a box of spaghetti, some canned tomatoes (we love San Marzano) and some good extra virgin olive oil, sautee a little onion or garlic and add a pinch basil.  That’s it.  Try to stick to the 5 ingredients or less rule and you’ll make a dish that’s far superior to that complex thing you aspire to.

In an article in The New York Time, writer Nancy Harmon Jenkins joked that there is a nervousness in the kitchen that reminds her of how Americans approach sex: ”Was it good for you? Did I do it right?”  Just calm down: Italians are very chill and relaxed when cooking.

According to every Italian I know, overcooking is the single most common American failing. The only way to tell when pasta is done is to test. And test again. At the precise moment the pasta is ready, it must be drained, sauced and served.

About the amount of sauce, it is very simple. The point of the dish is not the sauce but the pasta. There should be sufficient sauce to lightly coat the pasta; no puddles of sauce on the bottom of the dish, no oily emulsions. In Italian, the word for sauce, salsa, is rarely used with pasta. Instead, Italians speak of the condimento, the condiment, that dresses the dish.  For what concerns cheese, Italians use far less grated cheese than many of you think. A teaspoonful a serving is considered sufficient for most dishes, and of course it is freshly grated, either Parmigiano Reggiano, grana padano or pecorino.

Here are the essentials for a good Italian dinner. You see, not much!  Come back this week for our authentic Tiramisu recipe!

What’s your favorite Italian dish?

Previous Post Next Post

MAY WE INTEREST YOU IN...

30 Comments

• Reply Emanuela

Hi Joy,
    I LOVE THIS POST bc I’m Italian!!! My favorite food is spaghetti with meatballs, my grandma does them on Christmas day(so good!!!) my grandparents love cooking and sometimes they tell me how to prepare tomatoes sauce and other delicious plates! and of course my favorite food is PIZZA, margherita… <3
    hope you'll come soon in our country!
    love you <3
    happy holidays

December 14, 2016 at 2:54 pm
    • Reply Marie

I love spaghetti with meatballs !! But on Christmas day, it sounds really weird for me !! Here in France, foie gras and smoked salmon that’s just unavoidable !!

December 15, 2016 at 8:55 am
  • Reply Zara

Hi Joy

This was a really great read for me and very helpful. I’m don’t the person who adds in too much sauce. I need to learn not to do that and I definitely learnt somethings from reading this. So thanks so much for sharing it with us.

December 15, 2016 at 2:04 pm
  • Reply SteffenSmall

I have checked your site and i have found some duplicate content, that’s
    why you don’t rank high in google’s search results, but
    there is a tool that can help you to create 100% unique articles, search for; Boorfe’s tips unlimited content

November 22, 2017 at 7:40 am
  • Reply buy ticketmaster proxies

Hello blogger, i must say you have high quality content here.
    Keep posting.

December 7, 2017 at 3:01 am
  • Reply foot fetish video

Awesome post, keep updating your page

December 11, 2017 at 10:48 am
  • Reply furtdso linopv

Im no longer positive the place you’re getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend a while finding out more or working out more. Thanks for great information I used to be on the lookout for this info for my mission.

December 28, 2017 at 2:45 am
  • Reply furtdsolinopv

Hi , I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbled upon it on Yahoo , i will come back once again. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and help other people.

December 30, 2017 at 10:40 am
  • Reply best pop up ad network

Hi admin, i have to say you have very interesting articles
    here. Keep up good work !

January 18, 2018 at 6:37 am
  • Reply get more instagram followers

Hi I really enjoyed reading this website

January 18, 2018 at 12:46 pm
  • Reply Revenuehits

This post is very interesting !

January 19, 2018 at 3:52 am
  • Reply minutebuzz maxime barbier

La rubrique Vidéos est mise à jour en temps réel. https://sociabuzz.tumblr.com/

February 26, 2018 at 9:34 am
  • Reply Best Travel

Ӏ tһink the admin of this weƅ page is in fact working hard
    іn favor of his ѡebsіte, for the reason that here every stuff iѕ quality basеd information.

March 6, 2018 at 4:10 am
  • Reply Marcos

Aliás, como é que podemos encontrar melhor preço? http://jeston.com/__media__/js/netsoltrademark.php?d=nemuzika.blogspot.com

March 7, 2018 at 2:58 am
  • Reply Quitoplan Como Comprar

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.

I’m not sure why but I think its a linking
    issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show
    the same outcome. http://Club.Kedo.Gov.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=495163&do=profile&from=space

March 10, 2018 at 5:44 pm
  • Reply Kia

Emagrecer com saúde é mais do que perder peso rápido. http://m.crusadersfootball.ca/site/webs_51584650/?url=http%3A//www.placesthings.com%2Fusers%2Fhildegardejoiner2

March 10, 2018 at 11:11 pm
  • Reply vente de jouets anciens chartres

Nos produits les plus populaires selon les ventes. http://www.xclusivehosting.nl/hallo-wereld/

March 17, 2018 at 9:57 am
  • Reply Black Panther Full Movie

It?s nearly impossible to find experienced people in this particular topic, however, you seem like you know
    what you?re talking about! Thanks

March 17, 2018 at 10:18 pm
  • Reply acheter robinet cuisine grohe

Concrètement que trouve t-on dans l’eau du robinet ? https://robinet-cuisine.mitigeur-cascade.fr/mitigeur-camprond

March 21, 2018 at 6:58 am
  • Reply making money with a blog

I visited a ⅼot of ԝebsite but I think tһіs one contаins something extra іn it.

March 22, 2018 at 1:29 am
  • Reply mezo

I’vе ƅeen browsing online more than three hours today,
    yeet I never foundd any inteгesting article ⅼike yours.

It iѕ pretty worth еnough forr me. In my opinion, іf all webmasters аnd bloggers maⅾe gоod cοntent as you
    did, thee internet ᴡill Ьe а lot mօre useful than ever ƅefore.

March 26, 2018 at 9:32 pm
  • Reply mezo

wonderful issues altogether, yοu just gained ɑ emblem new reader.

Ꮤhat could yoou recmmend іn regаrds to уour publish tһat you just made some dɑys in thе past?
    Any positive?

March 26, 2018 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply cheap lumigan canada

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog web
    site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of
    this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

March 28, 2018 at 7:43 pm
  • Reply buy lumigan bimatoprost

Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post
    is just spectacular and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject.

Well with your permission allow me to grab your
    RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding
    work.

March 28, 2018 at 8:35 pm
  • Reply Buy Lumigan

Hi there! Would you mind iif I sharde ypur blog with my
    twitter group? There’s a lot of peope that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Cheers

March 28, 2018 at 9:53 pm
  • Reply Buy lumigan cheap

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she keeps the idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know
    it. Thus that’s why this post is perfect. Thanks!

March 29, 2018 at 2:22 am
  • Reply rite

Μʏ partner and I stumbled оver here by a dіfferent website and thoᥙght I miɡht check
    tһings οut. I like what I see sⲟ now i am folⅼowing you.
    Look forward to lookіng over yоur web pagе f᧐r
    a sеcond time.

April 13, 2018 at 9:56 pm
  • Reply Amer Aly

Yes! Fіnally sometһing abοut Ahmed Hassan.

April 14, 2018 at 11:40 pm